Colorado Springs, CO asked in Divorce for Colorado

Q: I’m currently going through a divorce. I own a home that was purchased during the marriage.

I placed my spouse on the deed however, the mortgage is solely in my name. I have made every payment on the loan myself. We have three children living with me and I’ve been deemed primary custodial parent by temporary orders. He is planning on forcing me to sell the house within 6 months after the divorce so he can get 50% of the equity from the house. He has never made any payment nor paid for any maintenance on the house. He moved out in April 2021. My question is how plausible is it that he is entitled to 50% of the equity that’s he’s never paid into and within the 6 month timeframe? I cannot afford to purchase a new home based off of my income and credit at this time. If I am forced out of the house I will have no place for my children or I to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Louisville, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: This house is marital property since it was purchased during the marriage. Also, it is titled jointly. Marital property is to be allocated "equitably', which mans "fairly", not necessarily "equally". The court will probably not care who made the payments, especially if those payments were made from income earned during the marriage (eg: marital property). The court can make accommodations to deal with the situation with the children. That may include not making you sell the house until later. You should get a lawyer to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.