Asked in Criminal Law for Louisiana

Q: I was involved in MVA in 2008. It left me disabled. I did get a first time offenders pardon, but I need am expungement.

It will cost me $2100.00

I get SSD of $1400.00. I have my daughter and her 3 children living with me and I simply don't have the money. But without an expungement, I can't get a decent paying job.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jacob Rennick
Jacob Rennick
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • West Monroe, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Expungement costs are not set by the court so the total fee you are charged can vary attorney to attorney, however there are set court fees that can be pricey. You can seek to proceed with the expungement in forma pauperis, which may reduce the court fee itself possibly giving you a break on the overall cost of your expungement. Otherwise, just set aside a little money each month until you are able to afford the cost.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.