Walled Lake, MI asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: My son in law moved from Alabama 3 years ago and has a 4 year old son, whom the mother is insisting he abandoned him.

He speaks to his son 3 to 4 times a month but she is pushing for a ridiculous amount of child support but in order for him to spend time with his dad, he has to drive to Alabama. If he is paying child support of anything before court ordered, does she has the right to demand he cannot spend the summer in another state with his father.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You, or he, should consult an attorney in Alabama. Generally, though, parenting time is not contingent on child support. You don't get to spend time with a child just because you pay child support anymore than you can be denied spending time because you don't pay. But your son in law needs to figure out what his rights are under Alabama law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.