Colorado Springs, CO asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: What to do when no child support order is in place?

Had a combined family support order ( child support and alimony) in place for the last year. It ended with the September 1st payment. I do not want to fall behind or get ordered to pay back child support. But there is no longer an order in place.

Correct me if I am wrong but without an order there can be no back support Correct? So it would have to go back to the court to have a new order put in place?

Thank you I just want to make sure I am following the law and will not get in any trouble.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It is unusual that a support order would expire before the age of majority. If you do not have a support order and want one, you can file for an allocation of parental responsibilities in court or you can go through Child Support Enforcement to set up an order though an administrative process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.