Glasgow, MO asked in Family Law for Missouri

Q: We have 3 kids, 10, 7, 4 years old, we are married, I haven't worked for 5 years to stay with kids.

We didn't really lived together for the last 5 years, he would visit, because he has a business abroad, and he would come and go every month or two weeks. Now we moved all together to Missouri, but he hasn't given me any money since May 2021, and I have been using my personal savings for buying groceries, shoes or stuff for the kids because he doesn't want to pay. I know nothing about his finances. And he asked me to work for him but after arguments, he fired me. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Spencer Williams
Spencer Williams
  • Saint Charles, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If you have been in Missouri for at least 90 days, you can file a Petition for Dissolution or Legal Separation with the court and after your spouse is served with the Petition and accompanying documents then request temporary (also called Pendente Lite or PDL) Orders be entered regarding custody, visitation, support and likely exclusive possession of the residence. I suggest consulting an attorney before beginning this process.

If you receive state assistance you can speak with your caseworker about the State establishing a support Order through their administrative process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.