Boise, ID asked in Family Law for Idaho

Q: What should I consider before moving out of jointly owned house with our child? Can this hurt me if we later divorce?

My husband's drinking is out of control and endangering our child. He won't leave, and I think it's best for us to temporarily separate. Can this decision impact a later divorce, custody, or division of assets? What else should I consider before moving?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: You can separate without having a formal Separation Order. In fact, if you file for Divorce, the law gives either of the parties the right to ask the court for a sort-of "time out," where the parties will be prohibited each from filing any kind of paper for a period of ninety (90) days, here's what it says:

"In any action of divorce where grounds for divorce have been established, if the court finds that attempts at reconciliation are practicable and to the best interest of the family, the court may stay the proceedings for a period not to exceed ninety (90) days where there are minor children in the family.

The reconciliation procedures herein provided shall not be construed as a condonation on the part of either spouse of acts that may constitute grounds for divorce."

So, the very last sentence says that the reconciliation attempt can be used by the other side to point to the fact that "all is forgiven" etc., and whatever grounds for divorce which existed prior to the attempt to reconcile, still exist and your divorce would not be hurt by the attempt. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.