Iron Mountain, MI asked in Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Can a grandparent in Wisconsin take me to court for grandparent rights if I and my child reside in Michigan

My child’s father passed away and I moved to Michigan about 7 months after . There was no current grandparent rights established after his passing , however I am wondering if the other grandparent who lives in Wisconsin can legally take me to court if I live in Michigan . I had a current restraining order on the father until his passing , and remained no contact with the other family whatsoever . The grandma is showing up to my mothers house asking where we are and I am concerned about my future circumstances if in fact she can or can’t take me to court for custody rights.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: She would have a tough, if not impossible, road. Generally, grandparents have very limited "rights" as it is, and carry the burden of showing to a court that it's actually contrary to the children's best interests not to have grandparenting time - a tough sell.

Can she try? Yes; will she succeed? Unlikely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.