Alton, IL asked in Juvenile Law for Illinois

Q: What happens if I leave me parents house at 17 in Illinois?

I will be 17 in 4 months, and I am more than ready to leave. I have to live with the person that abused me for a few years and it’s killing me. I have somewhere to stay, that is a safe, stable,loving home. I just need to know, what legal actions can be taken against me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Wheeling, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Technically, the parent with legal parental rights may initiate a process of returning you home by contacting the police, state police or even the FBI, if you leave the State of Illinois, thus making your return a federal jurisdictional matter.

However, you may contact the local court and ask the referral desk for some legal guidance from the duty attorney how to file a petition with the court to emancipate which should have corroborating evidence of your experienced abuse.

At 16 and eight months I think you will not be permitted to live on your own, however, you need to contact the Illinois Children and Family Service agency to seek support, protection and care you deserve.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.