Columbia, TN asked in Estate Planning for Tennessee

Q: What is the process I need to go theouyto change my daughter as trustee t either myself (POA) or my husband (2nd Poa) ?

My daughter and Fiancè have informed us they don’t want the responsibility.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: An estate planning attorney would need to review your trust in order to answer your question. The answer will initially depend on whether your trust is revocable or irrevocable. If revocable, you can most likely do this by amendment or appointment. If irrevocable, you have to follow the rules in the trust, and not all trusts are drafted the same way. You might have to obtain a formal resignation from your daughter. Again, it all depends on the provisions of your existing trust document.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.