Goshen, IN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Indiana

Q: What should I do. I don't even know my choices here.

My ex & I have joint custody with me being the sole care giver. He hasn't had our kids since the weekend of August 15th. Our son was hit by a car on August 29th & was transported to the hospital where he had 2 surgeries & was in the hospital for a week. His dad came for 2 hours the day the accident happened & we haven't seen him since. He stopped going to work & filed for FMLA & got fired. He wasn't working but didn't come see his child or even bother to check on him. He is now 2 weeks behind on child support. This isn't the 1st time he has went without seeing his kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: Very sorry to hear about your son, I hope he makes a full recovery. Regarding the custody questions, if the father is not exercising the time he is entitled to under the current order, you may consider requesting a modification of the order to something that better fits the situation. Also, on support, if he is not paying, you can file a petition for the court to find him in contempt. You should consider speaking with an experienced family law attorney to get more specifics on your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.