Shepherdsville, KY asked in Criminal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: How was I charged with vandalism at my former residence after moving, what was the purpose of my $1000 deposit?

Paid $800 deposit plus $200 for pet. The warrant said a broken window, already broken, missing shelves and closet rods, and damage to cabinets. There was only 1 closet rod when I moved in, and the drawer was taped in 1 cabinet because it kept falling apart. That being said, I'm confused as to how I'm being charged I mean shouldn't the deposit cover those things? I kept all messages from the landlord and I had kept all my receipts as well due to being warned about this particular landlord. We had a death in the family that put us behind and it escalated on her end quickly. Do I have any rights and is it worth my time to try to hire a lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You need an attorney to represent you to prove Restitution has already been made.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.