Philadelphia, PA asked in Small Claims for Virginia

Q: Virginia: How might an inmate pursue sentence relief after transfer to the VADOC if they feel they were over-sentenced?

An inmate was sentenced to 90 years (suspended 63) for three robberies and one attempted robbery in 2001 long before the passing of Virginia House Bill 1936 which establishes classifications and sentencing guidelines for robberies. The inmate did not use a firearm in the commission of the robberies and did not physically harm anyone. This is all documented in the court records. At the highest, these robberies would have been classified as Class 5’s under the new House Bill 1936 which is unfortunately not retroactive. The inmate would have received 4 to 40 years under HB 1936, of which a portion would have likely been suspended. The inmate has also worked his way down from a maximum to minimum security prison, has completed a number of college credits, has no behavior issues and has plans to go into real estate upon release. He also wants to spend time with his grandsons. To date, the inmate has served more than 20 years. How might he go about pursuing sentence relief in Virginia?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ashley Robinson Winn
Ashley Robinson Winn
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Since the law is not retroactive, hire an attorney to bring up all of the positive factors at the inmate’s next parole hearing. It is too late to do a Motion to Reconsider under Virginia Law. You have 21 days from entry of the final order to have the motion heard. It must be ruled on within those 21 days. You can file an appeal to The Virginia Court of Appeals by noting an appeal within 30 days of the sentencing order being entered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.