Burlington, WI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Wisconsin

Q: I am searching for guidance and possible representation regarding my current child support situation.

My Ex has 3 kids under age 18; 1 from previous ex-wife, and 2 with me.

1st kid-he pays child support, order is through Walworth Co. Court.

We then had our child together; [we are unmarried] order was placed for him to pay support to me -also through Walworth Co. We then moved into Racine Co., had another child together, eventually separated, and support was entered through the new county we were living in-Racine Co. Now his obligations are; 1 order Walworth Co with ex., 1 order Walworth Co with me/our son., 1 order Racine Co. with me/our daughter. I was left in unusual circumstances and a week before pandemic, left without a job. I get 17% of his income from 10 years ago for 1st order, and only 5% of income now for 2nd. Unsure if trying to revisit support will result in decrease of overall payments. Other concern is he is living with new girlfriend, who is a convicted felon and under active community supervision. Will this affect placement if this area was also revisited?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Edwards
Michael Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: If you are a aware that father is living with a convicted felon, you are certainly justified to be concerned about your kids being in that environment. Revisiting placement could be an option for you depending on what the current orders are set at. For child support, I would need some additional information to determine whether a review would be worth doing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.