Carrollton, GA asked in Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: I was charged with the family violence act by the state. this is my first time in trouble. What happens now?

My spouse and I got into an altercation that we involved the cops to mediate but turned into me being arrested as the aggressor. I was bonded out and told to make no contact with the victim i.e. my spouse I was also told by a couple cops that I could have my spouse overturn the no contact order by going to victims advocate and ask them to change it from violent to a non-violent contact order. what are my options for the future? I don’t have a criminal record, my spouse and I agree that our fight escalated because of my mental illness and not taking my bipolar disorder medication. I don’t know if I should let my lawyer know about my medical condition and how I abruptly stop my medication when I’m not supposed to. my spouse doesn’t want to press charges and we know that the charges are out of their hands. What is to expect the day of the court hearing I was told that the court hearing could be two years out. I just wanna know the steps I need to take and the Consequences

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to be open and honest with your attorney, as the medication issue is HUGE when it comes to mitigation. Your Spouse can also use that information to press the State to treat you properly as much as she does not control whether the state presses charges or not. She may also be able to use spousal privilege to limit the State's ability to proceed with the case, and thats important to speak with your attorney about as well.

Your attorney should work quickly to address the special condition of bond preventing contact, and if you are not getting the response you need you may need to have a heart-t0-heart with your attorney regarding what you expect from them. At the same time, the state loves special conditions of bond for a reason, and they love using them.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.