Philadelphia, PA asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I watched my loved one corpse be dragged down his staircase by the police, what should I do?

The officers in question, while preparing the body for transport to the medical examiner, dragged the man down the stairs and his girlfriend watched as he made impact upon each stair, they then pretended to take care once they noticed they were in our line of sight. One officer in particular was complaining about how much of a waste of time the whole situation was pretty much since the moment of his arrival, could not wait to leave and made it very obvious. This was a traumatic experience, and this mans lack of professionalism will forever be engrained within that memory.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It's not clear if that would be abuse of a corpse, but you may have a claim depending on a variety of factors. Contact an attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.