Fairburn, GA asked in Constitutional Law for Georgia

Q: My daughter got drunk and started trying to put her hands on everybody and busted my house window so I called the police

The police arrived to my home and stated to us that they were charging her with criminal trespass (family violence) which didn’t make sense . We questioned them howeever they booked her into the jail for smash and grab burglary , purchase of alcohol being a minor , and possession of marijuana less than an ounce.) we then called the jail and they told us nothing . She didn’t steal anything nor was she trespassing this is her home too so could you guys help me out on what to do this is her first time being incarcerated and we’re scared she didn’t break into her own home

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: She will have to either hire a private attorney or be assigned a public defender to help defend these serious charges, which could and should have been avoided by not calling the police in the first place. Whether you want press charges or not against your daughter is out of your hands because now the police and the solicitor or prosecutor will make the ultimate decision. It is recommended you reach out to some criminal defense attorneys or the public defender's office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.