Asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: Hello. Wanting to know who is ultimately responsible for a medical bill for my son who is now 18 and in college

we had agreed to pay 50% on copays for our son's health care costs. My ex-husband is the insurance carrier. Our son is now 18 and in college. He recently got some dental work done and because the dentist office always had sent the bills in my name, they sent the bill to me. I am now re-married and living at a different address. I got the bill and took a picture and sent it to my ex and let him know I would go pay my half and that he could do the same. He basically told me he wouldn't because our son is now 18..... so I went to the dentist office and paid my half of the bill and asked them to send the rest of bill to my ex husband since our son no longer lives with me and the insurance is his dad's policy. I explained how we divorced and that is how the billing needs to be done now. They told me that since I was always the "head of household" that I would have to pay the bill and that was all between my husband and I. I don't want this to go to collections in my name. what can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The dentist office will continue to seek collection from you. I would let the dentist office know that your son is over 18 and that you are no longer responsible for any bills in the future, and that they should collect whatever co-pays or anything from your son directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.