Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Do I have any paternal rights to my daughter if my name is on her birth certificate, if I am court ordered to pay child

I was not married to her mother when she was born and have been told I have no rights to my daughter because of that. We do not get along very well therefore my parents do majority of communication with the mother to keep the peace and so I can see my kid. I want rights established so I can have a healthy and stable relationship with my daughter. If I refuse to call her mother or answer when her mother calls me, only because I dont want to be yelled or cussed at, she wont let me see her. There is always drama and I dont know what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: File a Petition to Establish Paternity in the County you/the Mother live in. As your name is already on the birth certificate, you should be able to get parenting time through a parenting plan without having to do a DNA test. If you have additional questions, I recommend you speak with a family law attorney in your county. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.