Los Angeles, CA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: If neither parents have custody of a child, can 1 parent refuse further visits due to child being mistreated?

Father is telling 4 year old daughter that he's going to keep her and she'll never see her mom again.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If you believe a child is being abused or neglected in Nebraska, then you have a legal duty to report the abuse to the Nebraska child abuse hotline. In Nebraska, everyone is a mandatory reporter.

If the parents don't agree on how much time, if any, the child should spend with either parent, then the legal remedy is to file a custody action to ask the Court to decide the custody and parenting time. If you want the Court to address whether a parent is refusing visits without a good cause, then you need to file a custody case and let the Court decide.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.