Bristol, PA asked in Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: My grandfather passed away and for years I’ve been living with him taking care of him. My uncle had lost the will.

I’ve been saving for 3 few months but it’s not easy when I pay all the bills, the house is paid off so there is no rent just condo fees. My uncle just sent me a letter giving me 30 days to leave or his team will take action to remove me. I’m not sure what to do or if I have any rights.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: "lost the will" doesn't cut it. See if an estate has been opened. The uncle can't just act regardless. You need to file a claim as a potential heir with the register of wills for whichever county you are in. You'd want to check to see if an estate has been opened. If it was opened "intestate" then you may want to contest that if there was a will. If you know who would have drawn it up contact them.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.