Baltimore, MD asked in Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: When I pass and leave house to my adult child can I put in will that my sig other can stay in house indefinitely?

My child lives elsewhere and my significant other has children

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a competent PA attorney to advise and draft a Deed. A simple Joint Life Estates/Remainder Deed might be appropriate here. Or a very good lawyer could specify Executory Interests, Conditions or even a Reverter, granting and habendum clauses. Remember the executed Deed takes effect now, not at your Death. Tax consequences should also be considered.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Contact an elderlaw specialist or an estate attorney, especially as there may be tax issues. Thorny issues are who pays municipal/boro taxes, school taxes, and what happens if they don't

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.