Nashville, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: Can I add my adult child to my deed/title in anyway in TN without a quit claim deed?

I am a widow who is losing her vision and my adult child will help me stay in my home

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: There are basically three types of Deeds: Quit-Claim; Warranty; and Special Warranty Deeds. To create an estate for the child, there will need to be a Deed conveyance to him.

You do not just add someone. Life Estate/Remainder Deed should be considered. It would usually be a Quit-Claim, as hopefully your Remainderman Child would not want to sue your Estate. You need to hire a competent attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.