Cambridge, WI asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Wisconsin

Q: Civil Judgement help. We cant get info to pay a judgment.

My husband got into fight that resulted in restitution for hospital bills after he was released off probation and they turned it into a judgement. We have been trying to get ahold of the hospital to pay this off they wont give any information to us because it is someone elses name. We call probation and parole and they say they are done with everything once he was released. The clerk of courts wont help us. We are at a loss of what to do. This is holding us back from refinancing our home . This was joint and several with another party and there were 3 judgments and we paid 2 ($10k) of them and the other party paid very little. I just dont know what to do at this point. This happened in 2012 judment entered in 2017.

1 Lawyer Answer
Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Why don't you call the hospital and request you need to speak with the legal department. If they don't have one, ask to speak with the individual responsible for payments due to the hospital and tell them you need help finding out where to send the payment. If that fails, send them the payment anyway and make sure you send it via certified mail so someone signs for it.

When you do send the payment make sure you mark on your check in the Memo field the following: Payment in total accord & satisfaction Case #................. If and when the check clears the bank since you will be monitoring your account, write requesting they give you a Satisfaction of Judgment which you can in turn present to your bank regarding financing your mortgage.

Hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.