Boise, ID asked in Traffic Tickets and DUI / DWI for Idaho

Q: How long can a state suspend your drivers licence even if you did nt get them in that stare

I got to duis in wyoming in 2005 and then moved to va and had a valid drivers licence then va issued me a licence then let me have it for a prosment 5 mins then suspended it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Most states respect other states' laws, as long as judgments were rendered with die process. VA issued you a valid DL for 5 minutes. That's actually a much shorter time than I would have guessed, with high speed computers and other means of transmission. Once VA discovered your DL status in WY, they "reciprocated," which they probably have a statute saying they will reciprocate any other state's laws etc. and suspended you. So, at least you didn't get charged with some crime for attempting to gain a license to drive illegally! Good luck getting WY to give you some kind of "restricted DL!"

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.