Philadelphia, PA asked in Employment Law and Public Benefits for Pennsylvania

Q: I wasn’t able to legally work for the last 5 years and I am a us citizen. Am I owed money by the government?

Hi, my name is Anonymous and I wasn’t able to go to college, nor was I able to get a job due to the fact that I didn’t have a social security number. My father used fear to scare my mom into not giving me my birth certificate (keeping me out of the system or far away from hospitals). He passed away when I was 8-9 but there have been many issues with my dad as a person to the point I would say that his passing was a blessing. This issue he created many years ago has only just now been resolved and I have lost many opportunities within the last 5 years due to this.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: You are leaving out important facts. What was the legal bar to your employment all that time? You could have picked up a SS number on line if you needed one. What opportunities did you miss? Were you a government employee?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.