Lincoln, NE asked in Family Law and Adoption for Nebraska

Q: I was adopted and im 18. My parents kicked me out and threw away all of my belongings. Can I take it to court?

I was adopted back in 2016 of the start of the year. I am 18 now and was kicked out of my home for “not doing what’s best for me” when I had job interviews scheduled they refused to take me. I have been asking them nicely for my belongings and I learned from my little sister who lives in that home that they threw it all away because my little brother said he had seen me at his school when I was in a different town with covid. She has stated they want to unadopt me. They won’t give me my medical cards either. I had finally got my birth certificate and social security card from them but nothing else. I wanna know my options before making decisions.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The legal age of majority is 19 years old in Nebraska, not 18 years old, and legally your parents are still responsible for you. Start with the child abuse hotline and see if NDHHS can suggest some resources for you. There is likely not a lot of recourse for your personal property unless it was very expensive items as they would be owned by your parents. Best wishes as you navigate this terrible situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.