New Castle, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: My question is how do you get a divorce from your wife if she is refusing to give you her address

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason R Carpenter
Jason R Carpenter
  • Lebanon, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: In Pennslyvania, there is what can be called a passive divorce under 3301(d). You will need to serve her by what is known as original service with the initial complaint. You do not need her address, but only to have service of process or have her accept the documents. Both would be considered original service if done correctly with the help of an attorney. If you cannot do either of those options, then you petition the court for what is known as service by publications. This means the court recognizes your inability to serve her and will require you to run ads in local designated publications. This requires the permission of the court and is only done after you have demonstrated to the court that you have tried everything else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.