Kalamazoo, MI asked in Uncategorized for Michigan

Q: Do I have to accept a return for a car that was damaged while being paid off?

I accepted a down payment with the agreement

that the car had to be fully paid for the title to exchange hands. Now the buyer is saying the car doesnt work and he wants money back. The car was working when i dropped it off and i still have the title, but i never agreed on any type of return especially with a car thats now not working. What should I do from a legal standpoint

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This will be an easy matter with a written agreement determining who does what. Assuming your agreement is "Seller agrees to sell car after Buyer pays X-amount of money", it sounds like, legally, your buyers just bought a broke-down car. BUT, how do you get the rest of your money? How do they get their money back? Those are questions for a local attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.