Demorest, GA asked in Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Any way for a father to get custody of his son back after signing away his rights as he was battling cancer?

Father was battling cancer and going through chemo and his ex convinced him that his son would be better off without him because he had no family support and no way of working to earn money and he felt hopeless and like he wasn’t going to make it anyways. He beat cancer and is now married with 2 other biological children and 4 stepchildren and in better health physically and mentally. Is there any way of getting those rights reinstated. It was manipulation by both his family and ex wife that made him doubt his ability to take care of his son in the first place.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Wow! That sounds like a tough situation. There is possibly a path to the father regaining custody. It sounds like a modification of parenting time action is the best route to go. The father should consult with an attorney to discuss how to best navigate the system to get time back with his son.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.