Mandeville, LA asked in Contracts, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice for Louisiana

Q: In Louisiana during CEC inpatient, can a Doctor violate the directive of a Med POA and administer Abilify Maintena?

We knew in advance of an ER trip that medications were inducing hallucinations for my significant other (S.O.), after stopping them twice in a week by stopping the medications. S.O. was ignored by hospital, PEC'd to a mental health facility, who ignored the claims, then CEC'd. Facility refused engagement or historical accounting from family. Medical POA stated no long term injections of any kind were to administered, as MH facility was hoping dose of the offending medication instead of removing. Doctor ordered and administered Abilify Maintena (45 day half life) which has exacerbated the issues, which is still being denied by the MH facility.

Is this legal? Is there no method to stop a doctor who is literally torturing a patient by forcing them to experience hallucinations and Psychosis, remain inpatient, due to ignoring the patient and medical POA's identification that "stopping the meds stops the hallucinations" at all counter able?

What options do we have?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You should have gotten your own expert psychiatrist that you could now call to intervene.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.