Wichita, KS asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas

Q: If a DD was done but was not done for a case not yet heard in probate does that mean that the case will be dismissed

My brother passed they did a DD in his probate I filed a petition for probate for our mothers property which now they say will be dismissed because of the DD on my brothers estate… he was not a owner of her property she was the sole owner…

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: It is not unusual that the estates of multiple people relate to one another. There is not enough information in your inquiry to explain why the determination of descent for your brother's estate would eliminate the need for probate of your mother's estate. If you are trying to handle your mother's estate without assistance of an attorney, you should consult an attorney immediately. If you are represented by an attorney, you should get a complete explanation of how you can protect your interest in your mother's estate. Do not delay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.