Cape Elizabeth, ME asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maine

Q: Can I withhold rent payment if landlord illegal entry/ without proper notice on commercial lease.

Landlord wants to put up brokers marketing sign in our lease space before our lease term expires. Lease does not have the provision that landlord can enter and put up the sign. Can tenant withhold rent payment or charge landlord for usage of leased property (window) for advertising?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: The answer to whether your landlord can put up a broker’s marketing sign in your lease space before your lease term expires will likely depend on the language of your lease. It is generally standard for a commercial lease to contain a provision allowing a landlord to do this under certain specified conditions. If so, then there would be no illegal entry by the landlord.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.