Seaside, OR asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oregon

Q: My mother recently passed away my father and I are going broke paying bills that were only in her name. What can I do.

They also had a mortgage together no saved money separate and joint bank accounts. No living will and no will in general.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The assets in your mother's estate should be used to pay her bills. You may need to file a probate or small estate with the Court. There's a good chance that your father is now the sole owner on the house so he likely owes the mortgage. However, he might not have to pay your mother's other separate debts. I recommend that you and he consult with an experienced probate attorney for advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.