Easton, PA asked in Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: My mother died on August 1, 2021. in mid-July 2021, she asked me to take her money from her safe deposit box and

give it equally to all her grandchildren. But her Will says that her sons should get that money. Do her grandchildren get the money or her sons? Now my brother is taking this to probate. Can he actually get money that was withdrawn from the safe deposit box BEFORE our mother’s death – at her request? If the money was withdrawn before she passed away - I don't think that money is part of her Will.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John B. Whalen, Jr.
John B. Whalen, Jr.
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: ... hello ...

... there are a few issues here ... were you Power of Attorney over your mother? ... why did you have to give the money to her grandchildren? ... how much was given? ...

... the money may or may not be able to be pulled back, but it will be taxed on her Inheritance Tax return and will arch eye-brows ...

... John

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.