Canton, GA asked in DUI / DWI for Georgia

Q: Does a character witness help in dui citation or can it be paid

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris  Margulis
Morris Margulis
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Duluth, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Technically, you can use a character witness to defend against a DUI change, but it is probably not advisable.

Generally, using a character witness "opens the door" for the prosecution to call other witnesses, or to present other evidence, against the defendant's character, so it is an inherently risky idea.

What value will the character witness have in a DUI charge? Will they testify that the defendant "is not the type of person who would drink and drive"? How strong would that testimony be against the scientific (or even pseudo-scientific) evidence that is usually presented by the prosecution?


As for paying the citation, this is probably a bad idea in a DUI case, unless the facts are very bad (and this assessment should be done by a competent DUI attorney) and the offer is equal to or close to the statutory minimum penalty.

DUI's, while formally traffic violations and often addressed in traffic court, carry very serious consequences. The defendant's driver's license can be suspended, their auto-insurance rates will skyrocket, and their employment prospects will decrease, just to name a few.

Please feel free to email me if you would like some additional assistance with this case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.