Asked in Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: If my boyfriend went to court and his case statics say disposed how long does his Parole officer have to lift his hold??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: While on parole - until discharged or revoked - you remain under Michigan Department of Corrections jurisdiction. That is true even when a person picks up new charges. And it doesn't change based on what a local court does.

It's hard to say what "disposed" means. Are you looking at a district court or circuit court record? Often, a district court will show a case "disposed", meaning it has been bound over to circuit court.

Even if your boyfriend's new charges have been dismissed, everything is still up to the parole agent. If the case has been dismissed, the jail will likely notify MDOC. The parole agent may elect to pick him up and send him back to an MDOC facility, place him in some other sort of facility, or allow him to be released back into the community.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.