Valley, AL asked in Family Law and Social Security for Georgia

Q: Hi, my birth certificate and my social security have two different last names (one is my moms and the other is my dads

I can’t get a state ID or my drivers permit because they say they can’t prove I’m the same person .. the courts don’t seem to know where I can get the forms to fix this I was hoping you knew where I could get the forms to fix my last name in Georgia please and thankyou

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: Use your certified U.S. birth certificate to apply for a corrected Social Security card. Complete form SS-5 - You may need additional documents to prove your identity. See Make sure you use the name that is on your birth certificate for all of your other paperwork.

Check with the licensing bureau in Georgia to find out what identification they will accept for a state ID or driver's license. It is likely that they will accept a certified U.S. birth certificate and a passport. You can use other documents, sc as a W-2. You will need proof of residency. which could be something like a utility bill. You will likely not need your Social Security card for your ID - you just need to know your Social Security number.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.