Samson, AL asked in Family Law and Adoption for Florida

Q: Can my boyfriend of 8 years adopt my daughter who is 9, if we're not married and her biological father consents?

I have a 9 year old daughter that my boyfriend has been helping me raise since she was almost 2 years old. Her biological father hasn't really been present in her life for the past 4 years. He isn't on child support, he doesn't help provide for her, and rarely contacts her. Without my boyfriend and I being married can he legally adopt her if her bio father consents? We live in Fl and in two separate counties.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The biological father would need to cooperate and terminate his parental rights. You should consult with a local adoption attorney as this is possible but can be a complicated process.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A marriage license might be cheaper than the extra complications might cost.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.