Decatur, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: In work release got new charge 20 months ago now transferred to jail for vop with no bond

My fiance was in work release and caught a new charge in a different county 20 months ago his last day of work release they transferred him to jail for a probation violation and are saying that he will sit there until the charges are resolved in the other county but there isn't even a court date scheduled in the other county what can I do to help him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris  Margulis
Morris Margulis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Duluth, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the new charge alleges conduct from before your fiance was sentenced to work release, you can file a petition for habeas corpus to challenge the alleged probation violation.

Otherwise, you can file a motion for bond on the probation revocation.

Please email me if you would like any help with these approaches.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.