Traverse City, MI asked in Employment Law for Michigan

Q: I gave four week's notice to my employer as I found a new role at another company, last day 12/15. My current employer

phoned by new employer and asked that they move my start date to 1/1 as my current employer wants me to continue working on a project. My new company is an offshoot of my current company, i.e. they are completely separate legal entities but because of the relationship many of the people know one another, so there is familiarity. I have never heard of anything like this. My current employer did not ask me before calling my new employer and did not ask me directly to stay. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Is it legal? Depends on the outcome you are hoping for. They obviously can't make you continue working. Do you have a separation agreement?

In all honesty, with the relationship between the companies, why rock the boat?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.