Nashville, TN asked in Child Support, Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: My minor child’s father passed away. If there is no will, does child support still have to be paid out of the estate?

The father had 4 children. 2 are adults now, 1 other and mine are minors. At time of death the father was still paying child support. The sister n law has been given Administratrix over the estate. I read somewhere that child support would have to still be paid up and would come out of the estate first. Is this true? Are they by law order to do so or would I have to press the issue. I have quite a few more questions I am not sure on what my rights are. I don’t understand the terms and forms and such.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You need to make a claim in the probate case, and don't delay because there are very short deadlines. You should hire an attorney to help you with this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.