Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Missouri

Q: we live in mo. our daughter was murdered in 2020. we were awarded guardianship. father unfit. how can we get their child

support to start coming to them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Spencer Williams
Spencer Williams
  • Saint Charles, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The most economical option would be to discuss the issue with the Family Support Division and see if they can file to establish or modify the support order to direct to you. If they are unable to help you can file a Petition for Third Party Custody and Support with the County in which the child resides. This can also provide a more permanent custody arrangement for you and your grandchildren as once established it more difficult to modify a Custody Judgment compared to a Guardianship Order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.