Phoenix, AZ asked in Real Estate Law for Maine

Q: Can I refuse to sell my property to certain named individuals (my neighbors) even if they produce a full price offer?

I am planning on selling my house in the near future. I have a poor relationship with my neighbors but they would like to get their hands on my property. I want to ensure they cannot buy my property in any way.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: As a general rule, a seller is not obligated to accept an offer (even a full-price, no contingencies offer) from a potential buyer and, as long as you do not refuse an offer based on racial or other forms of illegal discrimination, you should be able to decline to sign a purchase and sale agreement. Relatedly, if you list the property with a real estate agent, you will want to review your listing agreement carefully, because the refusal to accept a full-price offer could be a breach of that agreement and/or the fact that a full-price offer was presented to you could trigger liability for a commission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.