Memphis, TN asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: How do I get guardianship or custody awarded to me of a non biological child?

His mom goes months without talking to him. He is 2yrs old and a type 1 diabetic. I take care of him 98% of the time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Hannah Burdine
Hannah Burdine pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hi, if the biological parents of the child have left the child with you for an extended period of time, you can petition the court for emergency protective custody on the basis that the child is dependent and neglected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.