Nashville, TN asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: In Tennessee do I have to go through probate court.?

My grandmother passed away and left a will with me and my brother's name on the will. Everything is well documented in the will with everything going to just me and him. She left her 401k, money that she saved in her bank accounts ,car and,house all to use. She don't have any big debt just some small loans.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Probate is how wills are administered. If there are assets that need to have the title/ownership changed, probate is how it is done. Take the bank account, for example. I assume it is in her name and she did not name a death beneficiary. You will not be able to collect that money by just presenting the will to the bank. They will not accept that. You will need to go through a statutory process, likely probate, to collect the bank account.

A lot depends, however, on the size of your grandmother's estate. For some small estates there is a process that is simpler than probate, but it still involves filing with the probate court.

The house is another matter. Whether or not a probate is required is a bit complicated. Maybe. Maybe not. It depends in part on what the will says.

A probate attorney can help you with all of this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.