Cypress, TX asked in Estate Planning for Kansas

Q: My sister passed away a few months ago and we are needing to set up a estate. I found a form online but need help.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to hopefully answer my questions. My sister passed away a few months ago and we are working to wrap up a few things. She has some benefits, paychecks, 401k etc. from her job and they are saying that we need to set up a small estate. She lived and passed in Kansas and we live in Texas. We wanted to know what paperwork we needed to fill out, how do we file it, how long does it take, and do we need a lawyer to do it because we really don’t have the money that we can spare right now. Please help!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: There are several options for small estates, depending upon the size of the estate and the type of assets involved. You should be able to find legal counsel who will provide a free consultation to determine your options and identify the cost. If there are sufficient assets in the estate, you should be able to find an attorney who will work with you on the fees and expenses that anticipates some payment from the assets of the estate.

If the estate has more assets than $40,000 (or real property), then a small estates affidavit (K.S.A. 59-1507b) would not be suitable. If the estate has $50,000 or less in assets, there is a process called Refusal to Grant Letters that may suffice. If the estate assets and liabilities are known, there is a process called informal administration that may allow for an informal administration with a minimum of cost. If the assets and liabilities are not known but administration is required, then a simplified administration may be the lowest cost option of there is consensus among the heirs at law (or the legatees and devisees if there is a will). If there is no urgency, no need for administration, and you could wait until six months from the date of death, a determination of descent may be a good option. Please feel free to reach out if you have questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.