Calumet City, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: What do we do

My husband and I are in the process of buying our home. We have a verbal agreement with the owner stating “as long as we finish renovating at our expense we can come up with an outstanding payment”. We just received a letter about tax delinquencies and the house has been bought by someone else after the owner said the taxes were paid. We invested our money into fixing the house and now we could possibly be homeless

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You need to meet with a competent real estate attorney ASAP, within the next few days if possible. Bring every scrap of the paperwork you have regarding the property and the tax sale to that appointment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.