Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Indiana

Q: I live in indiana and was granted sole custody of my girls. My daughter turned 18 in August and had a baby the day befor

My ex husband was abusive and is racist. My daughters baby is mixed. 3 weeks ago she stormed out of my house with the baby because I said her boyfriend had to leave. What can I do to protect the baby or stop my daughter from taking him to Alabama. My ex husba beat me and my kids and my grandson will not be safe

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: By default, your daughter, as the parent of a child born out-of-wedlock, has sole legal custody of the child and may make decisions on the child's behalf. However, if you feel the child is truly in danger and/or have evidence of the same, you can contact CPS to request an investigation, and you can also request to become the child's guardian either on a temporary or permanent basis. Speak with an attorney to help you through this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.