Asked in Divorce for Tennessee

Q: Can I run a add in the paper for a divorce and if the other spouse doesn't respond to it can I be granted a divorce

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sam  English
Sam English pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You must take all reasonable efforts to personally serve the divorce complaint on the defendant. If all efforts fail, you must file a Motion for service to be by publication and have it heard by the Court. Thereafter, the Court will rule and if granted you will run it for 4 weeks by publication in the specialized paper for your county. You need a lawyer to make sure you do it correctly or it could be thrown out many years after the divorce is granted if you didn't follow the law strictly. Its best to serve that person directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.