Middletown, NY asked in Child Support for New York

Q: How do I collect arrears?

I have a support order over 40k in arrears and somehow he is a free man! He is working because his iron worker union has told me but support collection doesn't get a response from employer. Should I hire a lawyer?P.I ? I have tried by the book and he gets away with no responsibility at all!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Ivan Bliven
David Ivan Bliven
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You should file a violation petition - with the aim of obtaining a money judgment. Among other things, the money judgment accrues 9% interest on the arrears. It also allows you to take action if SCU isn't - you can (via an attorney) move to garnish wages, seize money from his bank accounts, etc. Schedule a consult with a Westchester/Orange Co. Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.